Pages

Those who can't do...

...write.

Why did I become a journalist? Because I enjoy writing? Partly. Mainly, though, because I couldn't decide what I wanted to be when I grew up. So many interesting careers -- too many for one lifetime. With journalism, I live vicariously through the people who have devoted their lives to those professions I was so enthralled by as a child. One day I'm interviewing the lead singer of a country-rock band, the next day a painter, the day after that maybe a web designer. Sometimes, I even get to interview a CEO. And I learn something from everyone I interview; probably more than if I'd focused on only one thing my entire life, in fact.

I've considered dozens of careers, but these have fascinated and influenced me the most:

1. Astronaut
I really liked this one. It sounded exciting, but, alas, I’m afraid of heights, and I’m rather fond of this gravity thing. So, back to the drawing board.

2. Astronomer
If I couldn’t fly to the stars, I figured I could at least I could look at them.

3. Actor
I was pretty determined about this one. I even started college as a theatre major, until I discovered that all of the other actors had egos the size of Jupiter and brains the size of a subatomic particle. And the directors were all crazy control freaks. Or maybe I just caught them all on a bad day.

4. FBI Agent
If only I could be like Mulder and Scully!

5. Archaeologist
What could be more fun than digging in the dirt all day?

6. Photographer
I've actually dabbled in this one off and on since childhood, and when I was a full-time newspaper reporter, I also doubled as a photographer. Granted, most of the photos were of the "mugshot," "line up" or "grip-and-grin" variety, but it was a lot of fun.

7. Bellydancer
I haven't given up on this one. ; )

8. Blues singer.
Now this one, I could see myself dedicating my life to. However, I cannot sing. In fact, I would be more likely to get people to pay me NOT to sing. Hmmm...now there’s an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment