Pages

Pack Your Bags, Kids, We're Going to Mars!



Credit: NASA



I call shotgun!

For years, I've been telling everyone I know that the Mothership is going to return for me really, really, really soon. Well, it's time to accept that's not going to happen, and if I want to get off this godforsaken planet I'm going to have to take matters into my own hands. And with the U.S. presidential election nearing, I need to fast track my plan.




Hmm...now where shall I put the sofa? Photo credit: NASA

For once in my life, however, it seems luck might be on my side, as scientists recently announced they've grown several crops in simulated Martian and lunar soil, and that these crops are safe to eat. Researchers at Wageningen University in the Netherlands grew everything from tomatoes to radishes, conducting their first successful harvest in March. They just completed safety and taste tests, and have concluded that plants grown in Martian and lunar conditions are indeed safe for humans to consume. Yay!

The timing couldn't be better, since NASA has said it wants to establish a Martian colony by sometime after 2030. Plus, the European Space Agency wants to return to the Moon even sooner than that. Just 14 more years...14 more years...14 more years...

No comments:

Post a Comment